Blog‎ > ‎

Saab SID fix

posted Dec 19, 2008, 3:33 PM by Jade Rubick
We no longer have a Saab, and don't miss it. But if you do have one...

We decided to try and fix the SID display on our '99 Saab 9-3. Two sites have descriptions of how to fix the Saab SID problem, although one description of how to fix the Saab SID problem is for the 9-5. Both seem helpful, but in retrospect, the second more accurately describes what we needed to have done on our early model 99 Saab 9-3.

The first problem we ran into was we weren't sure how to remove the SID from the display. We opened the cup holder, and gently rocked it side to side by using a small screwdriver (covered with a paper towel) to rock our the left hand side. It slid out pretty easily.

Next, our SID unit doesn't have four screws, like the above Saab SID fix posting. The screws also require six-pronged screwdrivers. The screw is 10 units wide (probably mm?)

Then, as the instructions say, you press down on the four plastic tabs with a screwdriver to slide back the black plastic back of the unit. However, what the instructions don't explain well (the second one has a picture of this), is that you actually have to pry open the doorway in between the connector and the plastic base, and completely remove the doorway. Otherwise, the connector will get in the way, and you won't be able to remove the darker black plastic from the base of the SID.

The next part was easier than I thought it would be. I only had to remove 1 screw from the center of the circuit board to slide out the circuit board + display from the black plastic container.

I then turned the unit upside down, and removed the two screws next to the white ribbon. I then took the unit apart, just like the second set of instructions said. The part that was difficult was making sure to unplug the two circuit boards from each other. The second set of instructions is good here. I then pressed on the end of the ribbon, like the second set of instructions said, and put in a strip of high-density foam. It was 3/16 " thick, 3/8 " wide, and 17' long, Foam Tape.

Then I put everything back together, slid it back in, and turned on the car. It seems to be better, although not perfect. Well, it actually didn't make all that much of a difference.